Home Residents businesses About Pinole

Public Works


Community Choice Energy

Clean Water Program

Household Waste
& Recycling

Notice(s) to Bid


Report Graffiti or Street Light Issue

Sanitary Sewer Lateral Program

Storm Drains
& V-Ditches

Streets & Sidewalks

Street Sweeping Schedule

Traffic Calming Policy

Wastewater Treatment Plant

Related Links:

Building Division

Code Violations

Emergency Info

Housing Division

Park Locations




The City repairs potholes and irregularities in the paved surface of City streets on an "as needed" basis. There are also a number of utility companies that need to gain access to their equipment through the street. If you see conditions that require repair, please contact the Public Works Department at (510) 724-9010 and we will notify the appropriate department or utility company.

The City has a 2016 Pavement Management Report that recommends street maintenance by section for programming into the City's Capital Improvement Program. The recommendations in the report are the result of a decision making matrix that recognizes the City does not have enough resources to fund all desired road maintenance. The focus of repair is, therefore, on road sections that are in fair to good condition. This focus allows the City to maintain fair to good sections at a lower unit cost. The Metropolitan Transportaion Committee provides guidance to the City through its pavement technical assistance program visit the www.mtc.ca.gov.

The street markings around the City are repainted annually. Every year, the City repaints the markings on the streets to keep them visible to drivers. If you notice the Public Works crew working on the streets, please drive with caution.

> Traffic Counts Statistics (xls)


In general, it is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the sidewalk around their property. A permit from the Public Works Department is required for repair work performed on a sidewalk.


The City repairs and replaces all City-owned street name and traffic safety signs. We are currently in the process of developing a computer-based GIS database for all of our City-wide sign inventory in order to make replacement and repair more systematic.

If you see a sign that is missing, unreadable or in need of repair, please call the Public Works Department at (510) 724-9010.


If you see a problem with one of the traffic signals around Pinole, please give us a call and let us know. We need to have the location and direction of the light as well as the type of problem the signal is experiencing (ie. flashing, burned out, etc.). With this information we can direct the signal maintenance company to the proper signal light.


The City currently owns a few of the trees in Old Town Pinole as well as those on City-owned traffic medians and in all of the parks. The City tries to maintain and monitor the health and vigor of the trees in order to insure their well being as well as the safety of the public. A portion of these trees are pruned annually and immediate attention is given when the public's safety is an issue. If you see a City tree that is unsafe or damaged, or if you are uncertain whether the tree is the property of the City of Pinole, please call the Public Works Department at (510) 724-9010.

You are required to maintain any trees growing on your own property. If you have a tree that is extending into the sidewalk area, it may become an obstruction or a hazard to pedestrians who use the sidewalk. Therefore, we request that you keep trees in front of your property trimmed to allow a minimum clearance of 7 feet above the sidewalk. We also ask that you allow a minimum clearance of 14 feet above the street. By doing so, the street sweeper will be able to proceed unhindered.

Trees that extend into a public sidewalk area Code Violations (click link for more information on City Code Violations).

Copyright © 2002-2014 City of Pinole. All Rights Reserved.
Website info | Privacy Policy | Accessibility